[PLUG] linux and cell phones.. (semi ot)

Jason R. Martin nsxfreddy at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 21:27:57 UTC 2005

On 14 Dec 2005 13:14:16 -0800, Russell Senior <seniorr at aracnet.com> wrote:

> Rogan> 1) Any phone I like will probably have a camera, even though I
> Rogan> don't really care if it has one.  2) since it has a camera,
> Rogan> I'll probably want to be able to pull images down to a linux
> Rogan> box.  3) I've heard you can rebuild the menu structure on many
> Rogan> phones these days, as well as add java apps and what not.. has
> Rogan> anyone tried doing this from a linux system?
>
> FWIW, I got a new phone a couple months ago (A Motorola RAZR with
> Cingular).  It's got a camera.  I specifically asked the Cingular lady
> if I could transfer images (or other random digital blobs) over
> bluetooth.  She said "no, you need to get the $10/month digital
> service".  I went home and tried, and it works fine on Windows (ick!).
> I've pulled photos off and pushed a ringtone on over bluetooth.  I
> haven't figured out what I need to replicate that on Linux, but I
> assume the tools are there.

What I want (which is apparently NOT what the rest of the world wants)
is a RAZR without the camera.  The RAZR has a lot of cool features
(like Bluetooth) in a tiny package that seems great from everything
I've read.  However, there's so many places that don't allow (or at
least strongly frown upon) cameras that I would rather just not have
one.  If I want to take pictures, I'm going to take them with a *good*
camera.

Jason