[PLUG] LCD Monitor Resolution Question

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Thu Dec 15 17:07:04 UTC 2005

I'm looking for a flat screen monitor to replace my Mother-in-law's big
glass box monitor. As I recall, LCD monitors used to come as
one-resolution-is-all-I-can-do, but that something changed in the last
couple of years.

Does anyone know just what changed (if I heard this correctly) to allow
LCD monitors to cleanly display any of the various resolutions available
for glass monitors? Or, was this just a problem with laptops, and
doesn't affect stand alone monitors? My Thinkpad has a decent looking
normal resolution of 800 x 600 and, while it will display 640 x 480, it
doesn't look very good - especially the fonts (or maybe it's just the
fonts -- I don't remember which; I just know it's not too good at 640 x
480).

Mom needs 640 x 480 on a 17" monitor. When I'm over there fixing things
for her, I usually change the resolution (this is a Win98 box) while I'm
working on it, but then change it back for her. So, I'm hoping to find
the combination of things I need to get her the resolution she needs,
and the flexibility to have the resolution I want.

I'm willing to consider 800 x 600 on a 19" screen and see if that works.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens
http://home.comcast.net/~rsteff/

Note Cards & Photographic Prints available at:
http://home.comcast.net/~rcsphoto/