[PLUG] What are fstab and mtab?

John Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Dec 16 00:56:35 UTC 2005

Because I think they are somehow connected to the fact that my
iPod will not mount, although it did fine last time I tried, a couple
months ago. Previously it auto-mounted. All I had to be careful of
was to issue the command "umount /media/iPod" before
disconnecting it.

Now, I plug it in, its display goes to "DO NOT DISCONNECT," but
gtkpod can't see it. "Mount" does not list it. "Umount /media/iPod"
says it is not mounted. And /mount/media/iPod gives me "mount:
special device /dev/sda2 does not exist."

Does the last error message mean it is not listed in fstab or mtab?
If so, how does it get in there, because I know I have never
manually changed anything in those files. I only know of it from
seeing references to it.

One additional clue: Last time I plugged in the iPod was a couple
months ago. Since then I've added a USB pocket hard disk, which
was plugged in when I plugged in the iPod. I'm thinking that made
Ubuntu Breezy think the iPod was sda2 instead of its normal
status as sda1. I unplugged the pocket disk, but that didn't change
the error messages with iPod.

I don't dare disconnect the iPod as long as that warning message
is on its screen, or its filesystem will become corrupted and I'll
have to go find a Windows XP computer to restore it.

This sucks.