[PLUG] ntpdate

Luke Eckley luke at xifos.org
Fri Dec 16 19:14:13 UTC 2005

dan at fiddlers-green.info wrote:
> All,
>
> I've been struggling with an ntpdate and ntpd problem for about two days. I'm
> attempting to use ntpd on my gateway as the "master" time server for my
> network. However, I can't even get ntpdate to work from the command line for
> the various ntp servers I have in my ntp.conf file. Every server seems to work
> fine in debug mode (-d option) but fails with the error " no server suitable
> for synchronization found".

The only problem I ever have with ntp is that it will not sync if the
time is off by 180 seconds or more. That number might be off. First
update your time, either with date, ntpdate, or some implementations of
ntpd.

I just installed openntpd ( a port of OpenBSD's ntpd ) on my gentoo
machine and was able to update the time by running "ntpd -s"

Check your ntpd man page for help with a large time correction.

Luke Eckley