[PLUG] Win4Lin vs VMware (was LCD Monitor ... )

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Dec 16 19:29:08 UTC 2005

On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 11:18:11AM -0800, plug_0 at robinson-west.com wrote:
> What's better, win4lin or vmware?  I'm trying the vmware 5.5
> workstation trial, but admittedly I'm chafing at the sticker price.
> $105.00 seems awfully high, although rebooting all the time is an
> awful pain.

VMWare is probably a better product all around - I understand the
emulation is better.  I use Win4Lin version 4 because I prefer to
store files in native Linux format.  Neither product is open source,
which can be a royal pain in the ass when connecting these to a
kernel.

All these emulators are spendy - and VMWare used to cost more like
$400, but the price has eroded because of the competition with
Win4Lin.  If you can wait, I imagine somebody will come out with
an open source windows emulator based on Xen someday.

Keith