[PLUG] Permissions, ownerships and n00bie nightmares

John Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Dec 17 01:41:43 UTC 2005

OK, this worked before. Now it does not. I can't make any sense
out of what is different now and why it is not working.

What is not working? Getting new mp3s into my iPod with gtkpod.
In the past I plugged it into a USB port, I opened gtkpod, I told
gtkpod to read its files. Then I added new mp3s to the list in gtkpod
and told it to Sync. It synced. Done.

Now it does not automatically mount. But bear with me here,
because my understanding of when something is mounted and
when it is not is dim. E.g., if I can drag a file to and from a drive, I
figure it is mounted. But I have been told that is not necessarily
true. I don't understand why. I do understand the filesystem and
mount points v. Windows way of doing things. I just don't
understand when something is mounted.

So anyway, I plug in the iPod. I do "mount" and note that it is not
mounted. So then I do "mount /media/iPod." This gives me an error
message that special device sda2 does not exist. Like hell it
doesn't. I even held the iPod up in front of the monitor so Ubuntu
could get a good look at it. Doesn't exist. Bah. Stupid computer.

So finally I figure out that the command line seems to want the
whole nine yards. It wants "mount /dev/sda -t vfat /media/iPod." But
even that generated an error message. You see, just because I'm
the one who paid for the computer doesn't mean I get to use it. At
least, not as far as Linux is concerned. No. I have to mount the
iPod as root. Otherwise I am just a worthless no-count user.

OK, so I do "sudo mount /dev/sda2 -t vfat /media/iPod." Yay! It's
mounted! (Or seems to be.)

OK then I open gtkpod, it reads the iPod's database, and I proceed
to add some new mp3s. Then I do Sync. And for each new mp3 I
get:

"Error opening
'/media/iPod/iPod_Control/Music/F12/gtkpod561325.mp3' for
writing (Permission denied)."

What the hell? OK, I go to Konqueror and check permissions. Sure
enough, the iPod is owned by root. Well, of course it is. Ubuntu
required that I be root in order to mount it. But remember, gtkpod is
being run by a mere worthless no-count user. So gtkpod can't write
to the iPod. Why did this work before?

So what should I do? Create a new root account and just run
everything as root from now on forever? Yeah, yeah, I know, you're
not ever supposed to do that. OK, I won't. But the current situation
is driving me insane. Plus, I really, really need my iPod. Because
of the annoying Christmas music this time of year, I can't listen to
the radio -- for the health of the radio, you understand -- because if I
have to listen to one more little tin soldier I'm going to take a
shotgun to the radio. And there are nine more days until this
pseudo-religious madness is over.

OK, getting back to resolving the problem. The last time I mounted
my iPod and added stuff with gtkpod was a couple months ago.
Back then I had 64-bit Hoary. Now I have 64-bit Breezy. So maybe
Breezy broke something. But what? Suspicion: It broke the
automount feature. But all I know about automount is that it exists
and it's some cool feature of recent releases.

So first, I need someone to tell me if my thinking is anywhere close
to correct, that is, that the problem may lie with automount. And
second, how to fix automount. And third, any other suggestions,
including the fact that (as usual) I'm a hopeless n00bie who keeps
screwing up his computer.