[PLUG] Permissions, ownerships and n00bie nightmares

John Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Dec 17 02:47:24 UTC 2005

On 16 Dec 2005, at 18:04, Charles Sliger wrote:

> Having the mount point owned by root is not a problem although it
> should allow read and search permissions for everyone (rwx r-x r-x, or
> 755). Your mount directive did not mount the device read-only so that
> should be ok too. Is it possible to look at the dirs/files on the
> device to see what their permissions are using tools like 'ls' ?

Thanks for the pointer. That makes sense.

Yes, I can navigate to the directories on the iPod (as jjj) using the
command line. I can see anything that is there. However, the ls
command does not list the permissions, just the folder/file names. I
did ls --help to see if there was an option to display permissions,
but didn't see one.

However, Konqueror does list the permissions. There are four
folders on the iPod (Calendars, Contacts, iPod_Control, and
Notes). They are all rwxr-xr-x. The Calendars, Contacts and Notes
folders are unused. The iPod_Contol folder has three folders
(Device, iTunes and Music). They are also all rwxr-xr-x. And each
has files and/or subfolders, and all are also rwxr-xr-x. Evidently the
whole thing is rwxr-xr-x.

However, I don't know the syntax for what rwxr-xr-x means. Is this
a bad thing? If so, is it possible to change it?