[PLUG] LCD Monitor Resolution Question

Jeff Kirsher tarbal at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 03:09:33 UTC 2005

On 12/16/05, Richard C. Steffens <rsteff at comcast.net> wrote:

> <...>
>
> Good point. Mom does e-mail, and MS Games, and that's pretty much it.
> She does tend to be right in front of the screen, so off axis shouldn't
> be too much of a problem, except when I'm trying to help her.
>
> <...>
>
> I'll give this some serious thought. She's probably not going to like
> it, but maybe I can set it up to come up looking like what she's used to
> seeing. I do have her on the Win version of Thunderbird, so that
> shouldn't be too hard of a switch for her. She's also used to using
> Word; switching her to OO may be asking too much, but if I could get
> Word to work in Win4Lin... I'll have to try it all here, first. If it
> works, then I could get her a new video card and monitor combo, along
> with a Linux installation.
>
> At the pace she's comfortable with, I'll let you know how it works out
> sometime after Easter!
>
> Thanks for the ideas.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dick Steffens

I recently had to go through this with my mother-in-law.  I got her a
new computer for Christmas and I did not want to have to deal with
Windows and to ensure that she updated on a regular basis so I
installed SuSE 10.  At first, she was not sure about the change, but
it only took 1 week of playing around with it, before she felt
comfortable.  She found OO was so similar to word that there was no
problem using OO.  The big bonus is that I setup the system so that I
can SSH to the system remotely if she has any problem, I do not have
to travel to her house to resolve any issues.  I did have to install
JRE-5 on the system so that she could play her YAHOO games (which I
did remotely :)).

--
Cheers,
Jeff