[PLUG] Kernel configuration: Sarge

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Sat Dec 17 03:42:31 UTC 2005

>From: Robert Kopp <iconoklastic at yahoo.com>
> You're not supposed to trifle with the kernel in
> Debian, I guess. After installing, say, Fedora, typing
> "xconfig" would pop the window right up, but that's
> not the case here (Sarge). The kernel source was
> missing, and that's easy to correct. But then "make
> xconfig"

No distribution particularly likes you playing with the kernel. Just
differing distributions install differing percentages of the packages
needed for kernel building by default. Since Fedora isn't aimed at end
users it make sense for them to install development packages by default,
while Debian which aims to be a stable base doesn't.

The "proper" way to do kernels on Debian is to install the
"kernel-package" package. You then use the script "make-kpkg" as a
front-end to the kernel build, and it produces a Debian package for you.

> *
> * Unable to find the QT installation. Please make sure
> that the
> * QT development package is correctly installed and
> the QTDIR
> * environment variable is set to the correct location.
> *
> make[1]: *** [scripts/kconfig/.tmp_qtcheck] Error 1
> make: *** [xconfig] Error 2
>
> What's the QT installation? And what's the QT
> development package? And what's the correct location
> for the QTDIR environment variable? The query
>
> apt-cache search qt

One wonders if perhaps this was a precursor to Linus going for KDE.
Perhaps they bribed Linus by writing the qconfig script, while the GTK
folks got into the game late.

libqt3-mt-dev

> must have located at least 50 packages. Well, "config"
> is dreadful, so I wanted to make sure that at least
> "menuconfig" would work. But that complained that
> ncurses-dev was absent. There is no such package, but
> libncurses5-dev must be what they mean, for that
> works.

Installing "kernel-package" would of sucked that in as a suggested
package (though you could of told the system to disregard that).

> But suppose I'm a perfectionist? What still needs to
> be done to get into qconf? I once used it with Fedora,
> and it's neat.

Installing "kernel-package", using `make-kpkg`, and installing the
package produced is the right way. You've also got the option to install
"libgtk2.0-dev" and use gconfig which is the GTK front-end.