[PLUG] LCD Monitor Resolution Question

Randall J. Parr RParr at TemporalArts.COM
Sat Dec 17 19:36:34 UTC 2005

Richard C. Steffens wrote:

> Jeff Kirsher wrote:
>
>> I recently had to go through this with my mother-in-law.
>
> <...>
>
>> The big bonus is that I setup the system so that I
>> can SSH to the system remotely if she has any problem, I do not have
>> to travel to her house to resolve any issues.
>

> Now that's an important idea I hadn't thought of. She's on dial-up
> with SpiritOne. If I can get her to try it, I'll be back for
> assistance on how to make that work.

I too found the ability to SSH into remote relative's computers a BIG
advantage.

I just added a script/icon on there desktop which would tell them the
address of their current session.  When they needed help, they got
connected to their ISP, called me, gave me the current IP, and in I'd go.

By the way, at first a script did not seem necessary because they could
just run ifconfig or somesuch in a terminal window BUT even talking them
through that much often got them frustrated.  Thus a simple script/icon.

I thought about having a start up script just email me the new IP but
did not want the mail clutter.

R.Parr, RHCE, TemporalArts