[PLUG] Permissions, ownerships and n00bie nightmares

John Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Dec 17 20:13:35 UTC 2005

On 17 Dec 2005, at 7:18, David Pool wrote:

> ls -la (l for long listing a for all which shows hidden files too)

Thanks. Once I realized it automatically showed the permissions,
it's faster to user Konqueror, which I always have running.

Thanks to Cooper and Charles I am now able to get it mounted and
dismounted, and the permissions are correct so I can read/write to
it. Strangely, sometimes when I plug it in dmesg | tail says it is
sda and sometimes it is sdb. So I always have to dmesg before
trying to mount it. Weird.

Even stranger is that it always worked with automount before,
without any need to do a mount command. It just magically
mounted the moment I plugged it in. I was always able to
read/write to it.

I went into System > Administration > Users and Groups  and
clicked on my username. I have permission to access external
drives (all the boxes are checked, in fact). So I don't understand
why I have to give it the option "-o umask:000" in the mount
command in order to be able to write to it. And another thing, if I
give it "-o umask:jjj" or -jjj:jjj the command fails.

At least I can mount and unmount it now. These are just things I
am trying to understand here.