[PLUG] Time to learn how to do a script

John Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Dec 19 03:48:46 UTC 2005

I use OO.o 2.0 on my Windows 2000 computer and OO.o 1.9 on
my Ubuntu-64 laptop. I use them a LOT.

On the Windows computer OO.o comes with a little program called
quickstarter.exe. You can put this in your Startup folder if you want
it always running (I do). It places a little icon in the system tray.
You can right-click on the icon to do things like "open new Writer
document," "open existing document," etc.

The Linux version of OO.o does not come with this utility.
Supposedly there are two equivalents available from the Linux
community -- ooqstart-gnome and oooqs-kde -- but neither is listed
in Synaptic. Possibly another one of those 64-bit issues. Or maybe
it's in some weird repository that I don't have enabled.

The person who told me about these two utilities also suggested
that I write a little script instead. He suggested:

#!/bin/sh
while true; do
  xdpyinfo 2>&1 >/dev/null  ||  exit
  soffice -quickstart
done

Nice of him to include the code, since I have zero programming
ability. But what do I do with the code? I assume I save it as a file
somewhere, but where? And does it need a specific extension?
And how do I make it run?

Of course, it might also be possible to get the oogstart-gnome
utility to run on my 64-bit Breezy. I did find a link to what may be
the utility at:

http://cia.navi.cx/stats/project/gnome/gnome-ooqs?s_message=3

But none of that page makes much sense to me, so I'm guessing
I'm going to have to figure out how to run a script.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.