[PLUG] Of Mice and Movement (was Tri-head troubles ...)

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 01:08:50 UTC 2005

On 12/20/05, Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> wrote:
> A question closer to the original subject of multiple screens - with my
> single screen, I have multiple virtual windows, which I select from the
> panel (gnome, at the bottom, in my case).  How does one represent multiple
> virtual windows with multiple screens?  A distinct panel for each, with
> independent virtual window representations?  A proper "move the mouse to
> screen N" trick would be an extension of this.

With xinerama enabled, it acts almost exactly as if you had one really
large desktop.  On my home setup, each virtual desktop is 3200x1200
pixels.  With edge flipping enabled, they flip when the mouse hits the
*far* edges of the screen(s).  Imagine cutting your current monitor in
half and putting a tongue of plastic down the middle -- if you could
do that with out preventing your screen from functioning, you would
experience xinerama. (almost.. most window managers know that when you
maximize an app to only fill one monitor, rather than spanning all
your physical screens.)

With out xinerama, there are a number of things you can do, but the
only one I've tried is to run a separate x session on each monitor.
In that case, the mouse moves from one to the other, (and the keyboard
focus follows, at least by default).  Each head also runs it's own
window manager, etc.. as a result, you can't drag windows between
monitors as you can with xinerama.

--Rogan