[PLUG] just how broke?

Randy Stapilus stapilus at ridenbaugh.com
Fri Dec 23 04:53:07 UTC 2005

Brought home a Debian machine from Free Geek a few weeks ago, and it ran
fine; I've been using it to learn Linux. While getting one of the
recommended apt-gets, I think I wound up downloading a replacement kernel
- I'm unclear about exactly what happened. But on the reboot, things went
downhill rapidly; it seemed to reboot partially with some apps corrupted,
and then wouldn't come back up at all. I've tried installing a couple of
new OS (another Debian and Ubuntu) but the install always fails partway
through.

I have briefly spotted, flashing by, a message indicating damage to the
BIOS - on some occasions, not on others. The BIOS is accessible as usual,
though, and *looks* normal. I've made adjustments in it (boot order
mainly) which seem to stick. But I'm not sure if that means anything.

I also have seen at the beginning of a boot, "primary hard disk drive
failure," though the BIOS seems to read the hard drive OK and the install
goes on at least partway.

My question: How extensive does the problem seem to be, or how do I
determine that? In other words, are these symptoms indicators that the
motherboard is shot, or the hard drive, or both, or possibly that neither
is, but that some other corrective measure would/might solve the problem
and allow me to install an OS? Or should I just recycle the box and get a
new one?

--
RANDY STAPILUS
Ridenbaugh Press www.ridenbaugh.com