[PLUG] AMD 64 Motherboard Recommendations

Brent Rieck bsr at spek.org
Sun Dec 25 16:36:16 UTC 2005

Luke Eckley wrote:
> I really want a 64 bit system, and wonder if anyone on the list has any
> recommendations, good experiences, bad experiences...  Right now I am
> looking at MSI and Gigabyte.

I recently got an ASUS A8N5X MB and an Athlon 64X2 3800; I like it, it's
quite fast (at least compared to my old Athlon 1700), and seems quite
stable so far.  No weird hardware on the motherboard, sound, ethernet,
and sata were recognized by linux.  Be aware that this MB uses PCI-X so
you'll have to get a new video card too, and a new power supply since
it's got a 24 pin + 4 pin connector; your thunderbird probably just has
a 22 (or is it 20) pin + 4 pin connector.

Good luck!

--Brent