[PLUG] AMD 64 Motherboard Recommendations

John Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Dec 26 15:51:44 UTC 2005

Does anyone make a dual AMD-64 motherboard? Or is that a
useful feature anymore?

I built my first Windows NT 3.1 computer right after NT 3.1 was
released. At the time its major attraction to me (besides stability)
was that it could use dual CPUs. Except for my Linux laptop I have
always had dual CPU computers ever since. Two CPUs with an OS
that knows how to use them just makes everything run more
smoothly.

But I have paid no attention to the world of motherboards and CPUs
since building my Windows 2000 desktop three years ago. I built it
on a dual Athlon 1.2 GHz motherboard (Tyan Tiger S2460). I swear
it is faster and more responsive than my almost brand new
Compaq AMD-64 laptop with Ubuntu-64 Breezy. Nowadays I hear
talk of "two CPUs in one" and "dual-core" and stuff that I have no
ken of. In about a year I plan to build a new desktop and go totally
Linux (I hope). Being a desktop the power requirements are not an
issue, so I'd definitely like to stick with dual CPUs.

I've been watching this thread with great interest hoping to update
my knowledge of CPUs and motherboards for the day when I finally
decide to build the new desktop.

Oh, and I definitely want to get one of the 24" widescreen LCD
monitors that run at 1920 x 1200. You can get them now for about
$1,000. I guess I also need to update my knowledge of video cards
with Linux and which ones will drive such a monitor. Plus, I really
want to see one in action. Does anyone know of a local store that
has them on display, even if it is with Windows?