[PLUG] Reality check

Russell, Allen Allen.Russell at kpchr.org
Tue Dec 27 21:54:24 UTC 2005

Hi Mike,

I fondly remember taking two Linux admin courses from you at PCC.  Hope all is well.

Many years ago, just before the days of what we now call PCs, I wrote almost the same instruction to first year college students, trying to entice them to use Commodore PET computers (with an amazing 8K of available RAM), and to explore without fear.  Something to effect that there is nothing at all you can type which will hurt the computer.

A few days later, amendments started to appear along the lines of: Well, if you hit the keyboard like Kurt does you can destroy the keyboard but not otherwise damage the computer.

Eventually, of course, we came across something which one could type which actually would damage the computer.  For a few brief (very brief) moments, I contemplated putting out a warning along the lines of PLEASE DON'T TYPE THIS COMMAND BECAUSE YOU COULD DESTROY PART OF THE SCREEN.

I recall that we eventually decided on something very close to the original, something intended to convey information without issuing a challenge.  Something like:

In general, there is nothing you can type which will hurt the computer.

Anyway, students continued to get peanut butter (or something) on the keys, insert floppy disks backwards, spill prohibited drinks in the general vicinity, and all the rest.  But no one ever typed anything which hurt any of the precious little PETs.

Happy Holidays.

Allen