[PLUG] LCD Monitor Resolution Question

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Wed Dec 28 21:21:13 UTC 2005

My "client" has updated her requirements. Mom is now interested in
reducing the amount of furniture in her place, and wants to find a
computer monitor that also works as a TV, or the other way around.

Fry's had an ad for one at $649 (Syntex Ovidea, or something like that -
comes from Taiwan. Circuit City had the same one for $639.), so on
Monday, I braved the crowds and had a look. They had it hooked up to a
computer running XP and some video clips. Looked pretty sharp. The nice
lady at the store shut down the video clips and let me look at some text
(I didn't remember to take my own image files - but considering the
crowd, that would have been asking a lot, since I was just having a
look). The display worked well at 800 x 600, and also in some larger
resolutions suitable for the HDTV sized screen.

Mom currently has a 27" TV, and needs that size screen. This was listed
as a 27", but I haven't been in the HDTV market, so I didn't realize
that they still measure them the same  way - diagonally - and what is
27" in HDTV works out to something like 24" in the old 4:3 aspect ratio.
To get the equivalent of 27", one has to go to a 32" model. Naturally,
the price goes up a minimum of around $300, which puts it into the,
"that's nice, but I think I'll wait awhile" category for Mom.

So, I think this solution will work for her, later this year when the
prices come down on the 32" models.

Is anyone on the list using an LCD TV as a computer monitor?

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens
http://home.comcast.net/~rsteff/

Note Cards & Photographic Prints available at:
http://home.comcast.net/~rcsphoto/