[PLUG] Re: Red Hat ? How to find a file on a CDROM

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Tue Feb 1 20:54:18 UTC 2005

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, Norm Coder wrote:
> I have been asked to install a couple program from the Red Hat WS3 CDROM.
> When I ran a find -name 'tcl-devel*' on each CD and came up with nothing.
> Then I realized the files I was looking for must be embedded in an .rpm
> file. My first question is where would I find the following files? Is
> there a way to search for them on the CD other than what I did? I also
> know I should be able to install these programs using System Settings,
> Add/Remove Applications. In case that didn't work I wanted to know the
> other way using the rpm -ivh command.

When I load a new distro, I unpack all the iso's into a subdirectory
of my "spare" partition so I have a huge directory full of rpms.
(Probably I should just keep the iso's around and mount them in
loopback).  In any case, given the long string of rpms, either from
a directory or a mounted iso, I run a bash script that lists all the
iso contents and puts them into a text file for later searching.  The
core of the script does this:

   for  file  in  `find $dir -type f -print | grep rpm`
   do
      /bin/echo \
      "$iso $file ----------------------------------" \
                             >> $OUT
      /bin/rpm -qilp $file   >> $OUT
      /bin/echo ""           >> $OUT
   done

If I ever get the motivation to it right, I would build three
scripts, the first that loops through and mounts and unmounts
 all the iso's in a distribution to make the big long list.
The second script greps through this file for a particular
string, and lists the rpms that contain it. A third script,
given the rpm, mounts the iso containing the rpm and loads
the rpm.  A fourth script might be a cheesy kind of "yum",
that not only loads an rpm but all it's dependencies in the
appropriate order.

But I am too lazy, and that kind of setup is useful enough that
you would think someone would already have written it.   I am
too lazy to even go hunting for it at sourceforge or whatever.

Keith