[PLUG] USB mounting

Bill Spears bspears at easystreet.com
Wed Feb 2 18:59:23 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 12:22 -0600, Eric Wilhelm wrote:
> # The following was supposedly scribed by
> # Bill Spears
> # on Wednesday 02 February 2005 09:45 am:
>
> >I need to mount a usb film reader on Fedora 3 system. Here's what we
> >know:
> >1. Yesterday it worked automatically. When I plugged the USB cable
> > into the computer, an icon appeared, much like a CDROM icon and I
> > was able to access the media thru that. Today nothing.
> >2. I tried "mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 ~me/camera_film/" and it replied
> >"mount: special device /dev/sda1 does not exist".  I also tried sdai
> > for i=2...4.
>
> Are you using udev? (not sure if that matters)
>
> With my smartmedia reader, I have to unplug the device and plug it
> back in (with the card in it) after I umount it.  You might find
> that /dev/sda exists, but not /dev/sda1.
>
> The device getting plugged-in triggers a kernel event, but changing
> the card doesn't, so the partition goes away.  Aside from physically
> plugging the device, the following two commands (issued by root) get
> the partition to appear again.
>
>   fdisk -l /dev/sda
>   blockdev --rereadpt /dev/sda
>
> --Eric
Thanks, that worked.
That was sufficiently interesting that I'm going to report what
happened:
(dmesg told me:
 Attached scsi removable disk sdb at scsi3, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
USB Mass Storage device found at 7)
/sbin/fdisk -l dev/sdb told me:
Disk /dev/sdb: 32 MB, 32768000 bytes
8 heads, 16 sectors/track, 500 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 128 * 512 = 65536 bytes

/dev/sdb1   *           1         500       31982+   1  FAT12
/sbin/blockdev --rereadpt /dev/sdb
returned no output
After that
 mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 ~me/camera_film/
worked fine.

BTW, I'm pretty sure Fedora 3 uses udev and I thought it was supposed to
handle events like USB plugging and unplugging.  The log showed each
time that plugged and unplugged the USB, but as you said there was no
partition to mount.

Thanks to all.

--
Bill Spears <bspears at easystreet.com>