[PLUG] CUPS: adding a USB printer

Bill Spears bspears at easystreet.com
Wed Feb 2 20:23:50 UTC 2005

I already have a printer attached to the parport which seems to work
fine.  Now I'm seeing if I can get a small color printer to work off of
a USB port.
The printer is an Epson Stylus C86.
OS = Fedora 3
CUPS = 1.1.22
I make the following choices in the CUPS browser admin:
name = color
device for color = USB Printer# 1 (Epson Stylus C86)
Model/Driver for color = EPSON Stylus Color Series CUPSv1.1(en)
At which point it says that the printer color has been added and  shows
up on the Printers page, but when I elect to print a test page nothing
happens.

Looking at dmesg, there are a bunch of these:
drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: error -71 reading printer status
and
drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: removed
and
usb 4-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 3 if 0
alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x04B8 pid 0x0005

Help?

--
Bill Spears <bspears at easystreet.com>