[PLUG] Red Hat ? How to find a file on a CDROM

Steve Bonds 1s7k8uhcd001 at sneakemail.com
Wed Feb 2 22:42:36 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 08:03:15 -0800, Norm Coder wrote:

> Rich, I am using RH WS3 (2.4.21-27.0.2) I like your idea and would like to
> use yum. Where can I find it? I googled "yum linux" and received a plethora
> of cool information, but none that jumps out with a clear path forward.
> Thanks in advance

The best source for YUM on Red Hat Enterprise and clones is:

http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/

Dag coordinates with FreshRPMs and other RPM sites to ensure that
they're all internally consistent.  He offers really simple
instructions on getting YUM set up here:

http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/FAQ.php#B3

I often have problems with the "$releasever" variable and instead
hardcode in a "3", as in:

----- sample yum.conf entry -----
[dag]
  name=Dag RPM Repository for Red Hat Enterprise Linux
  baseurl=http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el3/en/$basearch/dag
-----

  -- Steve