[PLUG] Resolved: php and where mpg123 lives

Richard C. Steffens rsteff.l at comcast.net
Thu Feb 3 15:29:35 UTC 2005

Some long time ago, a couple of years, I think, I posted my music database
(php and mpg123) project on my web site. Yesterday, I got an e-mail from a
fellow in Massachusetts who is working on something similar and found my
code! (My few moments of coding fame?) He was having a problem getting mpg123
to work from php. He could run things like ls, but not mpg123.

I got the e-mail just before I had to go out, so I responded with the short
answer that I vaguely recalled a problem with permissions, and that I'd check
further when I got home.

I got an e-mail from him this morning that said my comment reminded him to
look where the programs live. Apparently, php can't see some directories. On
his machine, mpg123 lived in /usr/local/bin. Programs like ls live
in /usr/bin. Once he moved mpg123 to /usr/bin, php had no problem with it.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens
http://home.comcast.net/~rsteff/