[PLUG] Bit-Torrent

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Fri Feb 4 01:05:01 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 12:01 -0800, Russ Johnson wrote:
> OK, I'm confused.

After reading your email, so am I....

> As I understand it, DSL uses different frequency ranges for upload and
> download, and they shouldn't interfere with each other. So in theory,
> upload speed and download speed should not impact each other.

If it's like that, then something else must be seriously wrong with a
lot of DSL.

> It's not like a modem that has to transmit and receive over the same
> voice spectrum. It's more like transmitting on channel 14 and receiving
> on channel 15 on your CB. Of course, the other end is transmitting on
> channel 15 and receiving on channel 14.

>From personal experience, I can either upload at full capacity or
download at full capacity, but never both at the same time.  Download
speed cuts in to upload speed a but, but upload speed cuts in to
download speed drastically, and when uploading things, latency goes to
hell in a handbasket (making ssh unusable it's so bad).

Some time ago I began investigating traffic shaping to better share my
resources via BitTorrent (for things like Slackware ISOs and such)... I
never actually implemented anything, but a common thread I seemed to see
in people's comments regarding traffic shaping uses was to solve this
upload-kills-the-connection problem so many DSL users seem to have.

I can't offer anything more than anecdotal evidence that this is the
case... so take it for what it's worth.  :-)

--
Rob                    |  If not safe,
  http://rob.axpr.net  |    one can never be free.