[PLUG] VisualBasic to Linux

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Fri Feb 4 08:43:46 UTC 2005

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 06:56:28PM -0800, AthlonRob wrote:
> I have a friend interested in porting his VisualBasic 6.0 application
> over to Linux.  Has anybody here tried such a thing?  What kind of
> experiences did you have?

I can't speak from experience, but I gathered some links a while ago:

http://gambas.sourceforge.net/
http://www.realsoftware.com/realbasic/guides/portingvisualbasic/
http://vb2py.sourceforge.net/

All of these involve some porting work and can get hung-up on custom
controls and DB issues.

> Are you able to use things such as Winelib to do it?

Winelib is more for C programs.  But I believe you can run some VB
apps as-is in Wine.

> This is one of those super-specialized applications... one of those
> applications that keeps certain people and businesses from moving over
> to Linux out of Windows.  (I think we've all seen those before)

Yay!  Woo!  These are the hard 'uns, but if they work out, they pay
off well in goodwill.  NTM performance improvements, remote access,
reduced license fees...