[PLUG] Samba vs nfs

David Phillips redhat at crisponions.com
Sat Feb 5 17:02:07 UTC 2005

I recently built a share on my linux server that I am sharing with
windows machines via samba.  I would also like to share this share with
my linux machines as well.  Problem is, if I mount the share via smbfs
it only allows read/execute access to users and only root has write
permissions, windows clients can write to the share without problems.  I
need my linux users to be able to write to this share as well.

What I was wondering if it is possible to share a folder using 2
different methods.  From my server can I share the folder via samba and
also share the folder to my linux machines using nfs, or will I risk
possible data corruption.

Thanks
Dave P