[PLUG] ncftp - delete directory problem

Richard C. Steffens rsteff.l at comcast.net
Mon Feb 7 15:22:50 UTC 2005

On Sunday 06 February 2005 11:02 pm, Rich Burroughs wrote:

> I'm not sure what part of the man page you mean. I do see this:
>
> "If you need to delete a remote file you can try the rm command. Much of
> the time this won't work because you won't have the proper access
> permissions."
>
> That's just saying you need the rights to delete the file or it won't
> work. That should be the case with any FTP client, FTP is a fairly
> simple protocol.

Yes. I did see that entry in the man page, and that's the one to which I was
referring. It was a day or so after reading it that I went back into the site
with Dreamweaver and deleted the directory, so I apologize for the post being
unclear.

It seems odd to me that I don't have permission to delete a directory that I
create on a space that is assigned to me. Maybe it isn't ncftp that I'm
having trouble understanding, but FTP in general. I assume that Dreamweaver
is using FTP, based on comments in their site setup screens, but maybe they
have something additional going on.

> What did the ownership and the permissions on the directory look like?
> Or is it too late to know because you deleted it? It's hard to discuss a
> problem involving ownership/permissions without those kind of specifics.

I'll try to give it another shot later today. I can just go create a directory
and then not be able to delete it to get the error message. :-) I can always
delete it with Dreamweaver.

Thanks for the reply.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens
http://home.comcast.net/~rsteff/

Note Cards & Photographic Prints avaliable at:
http://home.comcast.net/~rcsphoto/