[PLUG] Cleaning Up a Web Site

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Feb 7 19:01:20 UTC 2005

   There is a non-profit organization to which I belong (they're located in
the midwest) whose web site cannot easily take input from users and has some
niggling problems. They've created the site with M$ FrontPage 5.0; their ISP
runs w2k and IIS-5.

   If it would not be a major hassle for me, I would like to offer to redo
their site using xhtml and css. But, I don't know how much of a hassle it
might be, whether there are SSI available (e.g., for submittal of abstracts,
changing one's membership information and other interactive functions), or
if it's worth even trying. I doubt very strongly that the ISP (which seems
to be a computer shop offering e-mail and web hosting services on the side)
would consider a F/OSS solution.

   My question to those of you with experience in a heterogeneous OS
environment with web servers is whether or not it would be practical to
offer long-distance assistance given the architecture involved.

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)