[PLUG] Resolved: ncftp - delete directory problem

Richard C. Steffens rsteff.l at comcast.net
Wed Feb 9 05:57:03 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 08 February 2005 8:50 am, Richard C. Steffens wrote:
> On Monday 07 February 2005 5:30 pm, Rich Burroughs wrote:
> > You might see if the Comcast
> > people can explain more details about what is happening with the user
> > change you've mentioned. I've never heard of a host doing that.
>
> I was thinking along those lines yesterday. I think that will be my next
> step. I believe they have an e-mail based help system for lower priority
> things, but if not, they have a java app for interactive help over the web.

I sent an e-mail to Comcast asking their help regarding deleting a directory
while logged in using ftp. They sent a lengthly reply in which they explain
that FTP is the most common way sites are maintained on Comcast, but that the
only client they "support" is the one you can invoke from a DOS command
window in Winders. I tried it, and had the same problem: I can't delete a
directory logged in via ftp. They did not address the question of the changed
user name.

Another thing they mentioned was:

> You can access your File Locker in Internet Explorer by going to
> ftp://username:password@upload.comcast.net
> where username is your e-mail address without the @comcast.net part and
> password is your password for e-mail. Then the FTP window will work like
> a file folder. Just drag the files into the folder that you want to
> upload.

I tried that from Konqueror, but I didn't include my password. No problem, I
got a dialog that asked for it. I had the usual view Konqueror gives of a
directory and files. I was able to delete the testDir directory I had created
with ncftp. This will be much simpler than using another ftp client, so
that's why, even though I did not solve the problem of deleting a directory
with ncftp, I consider the issue resolved.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens
http://home.comcast.net/~rsteff/

Note Cards & Photographic Prints avaliable at:
http://home.comcast.net/~rcsphoto/