[PLUG] Airport Extreme question

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Wed Feb 9 18:20:32 UTC 2005

On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 04:19:18PM -0800, Ron Braithwaite wrote:
> Well, I've finally gotten around to replacing the old wifi router with
> an Apple Airport Extreme. I have plugged a printer into the USB port and
> my wife and my son can easily print to it. I, however, cannot.

I was hoping someone more knowledgable would answer this.

I believe the printer is being announced using ZeroConf (Apple calls
it Rendezvous) AKA mDNS.  There's a full implementation out there
called Howl, and a simple lookup util called mdns-scan.  Look 'em up
on Freshmeat.net.

I don't know what printer protocol the thing uses, but I'll bet it
talks LPR.  Might be configurable on the setup webpage.

Keep us posted,
  Aaron