[PLUG] Samba vs nfs

Scott Van Hoosen svanhoosen at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 11 00:07:35 UTC 2005

Sorry I'm late on this, been busy and haven't been keeping up. Anyway,
I have had this problem before. You need to use smbmount as a normal
user to mount the samba partitions and have read/write access.

First, you may have to change permissions on the relevant files to
allow a normal user to use smbmount, such as:

chmod 4755 /usr/bin/smbmnt
chmod 4755 /usr/bin/smbumount
chmod 755 /usr/bin/smbmount

Use the following syntax to mount them:

smbmount //server/share /mountpoint -o username=user%password

This should fix all your problems, and from now all your life will be
good and pleasant. :)

-Scott