[PLUG] Re: Multiple PHP's

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Fri Feb 11 23:14:07 UTC 2005

On 2005-02-11, Matt Alexander <lowbassman at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a server running PHP 5.  PHP 5 has to stay.  However, I also
> need to install phpBB which doesn't work with PHP 5.  Is there a way
> to use two versions of PHP with Apache?  Maybe with a directory
> directive that only runs PHP 4 for the phpBB directory.  Or...?

Well, you can always run multiple Apache versions, each binding to different
IP addresses.  On the machine running the PLUG site, I have 1.3 running with
mod_perl (because Karl made the site with HTML::Mason and for the Slash-based
sites I run, like http://www.news4neighbors.net) and the CentOS-stock 2.0 for
the regular sites.  I run Pound (http://www.apsis.ch/pound/) on the firewall
to direct incoming HTTP requests to the proper address.  Being able to match
the Host HTTP header and forward to the proper IP address is much easier
than using mod_proxy or Squid and having to fiddle with /etc/hosts to keep
things straight.

Wil
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley at nakedape.cc
* * * * Linux, UNIX, Networking and Security Solutions * * * *