[PLUG] PC/XT keyboards and the 2.6 kernel driver

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Sun Feb 20 17:03:03 UTC 2005

Carlos Konstanski <ckonstan at lunarlogic.com> wrote:

> The linux 2.6 kernel has a driver for XT keyboards.  Here's the help for
> the config option in menuconfig:
>
> CONFIG_KEYBOARD_XTKBD:
>
> Say Y here if you want to use the old IBM PC/XT keyboard (or
> compatible) on your system. This is only possible with a
> parallel port keyboard adapter, you cannot connect it to the
> keyboard port on a PC that runs Linux.
>
> To compile this driver as a module, choose M here: the
> module will be called xtkbd.
>
> Is it really as easy as stringing a bunch of adapters together until you
> have the XT plug converted into a DB-25 connector?  Are there any
> success stories out there?  I have scoured google for info, but I find
> nothing.
>
> This isn't an urgent call for help.  I'll just go ahead and get a few
> adapters and see what happens.  I'll post a followup to this so that
> there will be at least one meager source of info for others who want to
> take their beautiful, 20-pound metal clackers and make them live once
> more.

You can't just string together various connector and gender changers to do
this.  You will have to build an adapter.

It appears you are not the only one to have struggled to find this info.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/linux.kernel/browse_thread/thread/645e670b2ef5ca29/7c9d514e995f7110?q=linux+parallel+port+keyboard+adapter&_done=%2Fgroups%3Fq%3Dlinux+parallel+port+keyboard+adapter%26start%3D20%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff%26&_doneTitle=Back+to+Search&d=&fwc=1

galen