[PLUG] Muti-Media in FC3

Jason Van Cleve jason at vancleve.com
Wed Feb 23 22:24:11 UTC 2005

This question pops up all over the place, what's the best media player
for Linux, essentially.  Often, the answer is, whatever you like:  it's
Linux!  But that misses the point.  Sometimes people don't want to try
five different packages in order to "decide for themselves".  They want
only one round recommendation.  I've distilled my answer into the
proverbial two bits:

1. The best multimedia player is mplayer.

2. The best audio player is xmms.

If you're just into audio, go with xmms, otherwise, mplayer.  Now let me
add, I am not a troll!  These strident assertions are subjective and
entirely debatable.  Yet I think they are the answers most people need,
who ask this question.

--Jason

P.S. Xine is a wannabe and always has been.  It had an auspicious start
with that groovy default skin, and I was involved years ago, but bugs
have gone too long unfixed, features unimplemented, and its DVD playback
was always jerky for me, even where mplayer did fine.  And DVD playback
was the main reason I ran xine.

--
Revolution from Below! GPL the Constitution!