[PLUG] Muti-Media in FC3

Alan alan at clueserver.org
Thu Feb 24 00:39:03 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 16:22 -0800, Aaron Burt wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 10:19:56AM -0800, Steve D... wrote:
> >   Google shows there are lots of choices out there.  What are people
> > out there using to play video and multi-media files these days?
>
> Xine seems to have caught up with mplayer in being able to play
> various formats.  I use XMMS, but I'm exploring alternatives that
> manage files and webcasts better.
>
> We use FC2 at work, and I'd like to put in a plug for the DAG
> repository: http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/
> Or just add:
>   [dag]
>   name=Dag RPM Repository for Fedora Core
>   baseurl=http://apt.sw.be/fedora/$releasever/en/$basearch/dag
> to your /etc/yum.conf.  All kinds of good stuff for RH and FC distros,
> including recent Mplayer versions.
>
> Also check out http://atrpms.net/ and http://freshrpms.net/

Freshrpms is a *much* better repository than Dag.  Dag has a bad habit
of not paying attention to other people's packages and dependancies.
(His version of clamav will coexist (badly) with the one from fedora.us,
for example.)

Freshrpms has mplayer and xine.  (Though no version of mplayer for
x86_64 for FC3.

--
"Cthulhu is never seen drinking cappuccino in Italian restaurants
 with Oriental women."