[PLUG] Calling command from windows

Josh Orchard josh at emediatedesigns.com
Fri Feb 25 16:43:10 UTC 2005

> I'm running a linux server backing up a windows workstation
> environment.  I need to call a python script that exists on the linux
> box.  I don't want to install python on all the workstations.  The
> program reads a text file that is created by a windows app and actson
>  the items listed in the file.  My approach is to use cron to watch a
>  directory using find and -exec.  But that means cron running ths
> command every minute of every day.  Seems inefficient.  It seems that
>  a way to call the python script (with an argument) from windows is
> what I really need.  Is that possible?
>
> --
> Michael Montagne
> michael at themontagnes.com http://www.themontagnes.com

Another option is to have windows send the information to the linux
box for backup.  I have my windows box run robocopy every evening
which syncs the data that is important to me to my linux server.  The
linux server then has the standard backup tools running.  Robocopy is
like rsync and only copies over the new files.  So, even on a large
directory it is really fast after the first sync'ing.

The downsides is that you have to keep two copies of all the data but
HD's are cheap and reduntancy is a good thing too.

Josh