[PLUG] Graphics Programming with GTK+?

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Sun Feb 27 21:51:16 UTC 2005

>From: Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
>    Has anyone used gtk+ for graphics programming -- as distinct from a WIMP
> GUI?
>
>    I want to build a GUI and X Window System capability onto a GIS
> application. The console UI for that app is 25-30 years out of date. My
> older book on developing linux applications with gtk+/gdk tells me that it
> does have functions to draw and manipulate (i.e., zoom, pan, query) vector
> and raster data on screen.
>
>    If you have experience with this I'd appreciate your impressions of
> ease-of-use and suitability of the available functions (which, I imagine,
> are all in the gdk). This project has a second-tier priority so I'm not in a
> rush but I'd like to do some planning and learning in the interim.

Haven't done precisely what you're suggesting. I've talked directly to
Xlib for the rendering of this one program, since then I've pasted on a
front-end via GTK+v2. Took some doing, but the old direct Xlib interface
still works. Depending on precisely what you're doing, you might want to
use OpenGL functionality instead.

I like GTK+/GDK. They provide a very nice interface. If you need OpenGL's
functionality there are two libraries, GtkGLArea and GtkGLExt. Appears
the former is better known, while I suspect the latter is better
designed.