[PLUG] Graphics Programming with GTK+?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Feb 27 22:55:22 UTC 2005

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005, Elliott Mitchell wrote:

> Haven't done precisely what you're suggesting. I've talked directly to
> Xlib for the rendering of this one program, since then I've pasted on a
> front-end via GTK+v2. Took some doing, but the old direct Xlib interface
> still works. Depending on precisely what you're doing, you might want to
> use OpenGL functionality instead.

Elliott,

   I was trying to avoid very low level programming.

> I like GTK+/GDK. They provide a very nice interface. If you need OpenGL's
> functionality there are two libraries, GtkGLArea and GtkGLExt. Appears the
> former is better known, while I suspect the latter is better designed.

   There's Mesa as an equivalent to OpenGL for 3D and I've looked at LessTIF
for 2D work. Everything seems rather out of date, which really surprised me
when I went looking. I know that Qt has this capabilities but I'm much more
comfortable with C than with C++. In the Java world, I believe that Swing
has graphics support (but it did not look extensive at my quick glance at
the book), but SWT does not (at least, not according to my SWT Developer's
Handbook).

Many thanks,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)