[PLUG] Job posting on www.openna.com...

Terry Griffin griffint at pobox.com
Mon Feb 28 16:52:32 UTC 2005

On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 06:58:06AM -0800, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> Darkhorse wrote:
>
> >How do you become a good Linux system administrator in a reasonable
> >amount of time?  There's a job offering through http://www.openna.com
> >in Texas for a senior level Linux system administrator.  I figured
> >that someone might like to know this.  If I had the credentials,
> >I'd apply for it myself.
> >
> >The only Linux classes offered at PCC were very basic and I've
> >already taken them.  I'd like to get some postfix mail system
> >training.  I would also like to be able to understand Redhat
> >init scripts and pam as well.  Ideally, I need certifications
> >but I also want the baseline knowledge you have to have.
> >
> >Are there professional level Linux training programs in the Portland
> >and/or Beaverton area?  Any distance learning opportunities around
> >here?  It's ironic that Oregon is supposed to be tech
> >central, yet I haven't found any professional level, flexible,
> >Linux system administration training courses.  This is especially
> >surprising considering that Linus Torvalds lives here.  Mike
> >did okay at PCC, but his course was child's play compared to
> >what you need to adminster Linux in a business setting.
> >I don't know if PCC politics got in the way of more practical
> >Linux training courses or what the issue is.  I can't even
> >figure out why PCC hasn't put a teacher's manual for Calculus
> >based physics in the Sylvania tutoring center either.
> >The lack of options to get help with physics at PCC is absurd.
> >I wish they'd offer the lecture for physics online, I'd
> >probably do better with that kind of a presentation.
> >
> >    --  Michael C. Robinson

> Axian runs a very good RHCE-specific training program in Beaverton;
> they're in the office complex across the street from the Fred Meyer, or
> at least they were a few years ago.

Axian moved last summer. We're now on Nimbus, just North of Scholls Ferry
next to Bally's. The old place got too small plus the landlord failed to
keep the place up. The new place is nicer, and the building crew does
remarkable things here, like fixing the toilets when they break instead of
letting them remain broken for years on end.

http://www.axian.com/

Terry
--
Terry Griffin <griffint at pobox.com>