[PLUG] OT: Cellphone provider recomendations?

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Mon Feb 28 20:21:45 UTC 2005

Brent Jones wrote:

> And starting this weekend, people are getting "number disconnected",
> or straight to my voice mail, without my phone even ringing.

Have you called 611 to find out if there are any updates for your phone?
I found that sometimes they update the towers and phones need to be
updated to keep support.

Not trying to stop you from changing, but if you can avoid that
"breaking the contract" part, that's money in your pocket.

> I've heard T-mobile is decent, as well as Nextel.

T-Mobile is lacking in coverage in Oregon. If you leave the metro area,
you won't have service. I have friends in McMinnville that lose service
in certain areas of that town because they don't have enough towers.
She's been waiting for two years for them to add towers.

I know nothing about Nextel except they supply most of the construction
industry because of their walkie talkie feature. (Be-Beep!)

> But I was wondering what PLUGgers have experience with.

I had AT&T up until just before the Cingular acquisition, loved the
service, but the rest of the people I talk to have Verizon. So I
switched, because of their "IN" calling. Kept my same phone number, and
have pretty good service.

Russ