[PLUG] Fry's $499 laptop

Ovid publiustemp-plug at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 2 18:11:21 UTC 2005

--- Jim Karlock <Jkarlock at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Fry's is offering a "Great Quality" brand laptop for $499.
>
> Obviously, at this low price, I am suspicious of the quality.
>
> Does anyone know of quality data about this item?

Anecdotal data:  I bought one of their "Great Quality" PCs for $100.
The hardware is low quality and the USB controller has a Via chipset
that's caused me a bit of grief but the latest drivers seem to have
resolved the issues.

All things considered, I think I got a fair deal.  I didn't pay a lot.
I didn't get a lot.  Once I added some extra ram and got rid of Lindows
(er, Linspire), everything was just fine.

Cheers,
Ovid

=====
Silence is Evil            http://users.easystreet.com/ovid/philosophy/decency.html