[PLUG] how to tell when the filesystem is borken?

AthlonRob AthlonRob at axpr.net
Mon Jan 3 01:34:49 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-02 at 17:29 -0800, AthlonRob wrote:
> IBM Deathstar, not Deskstar.

And, for reference, I have a Deathstar 75GXP (*the* model that initiated
the lawsuit)...

It's been running virtually nonstop for a few years now without any real
issues.  Every few months it starts chirping or clicking... giving me
cause for concern... but every time it settles back down within a few
days.

However, early this morning it started clicking again - only this time a
different click.  They're shorter sounding and higher pitched than
before.  No data loss yet, SMART (as usual) doesn't say anything is
wrong... so I'll let it continue on.  I'm thinking about decommissioning
the box it's in, though, it doesn't get used very much any more, only
acting as my VPN server and for a few automated scripts that could
easily be moved to a different server.

Of course, then what would I do with the box?

--
Rob                    |  If not safe,
  http://rob.axpr.net  |    one can never be free.