[PLUG] Stupid SCSI. Stupid DVDROM

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Wed Jan 5 02:18:22 UTC 2005

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005, Garl Grigsby wrote:
> What brand DVD drive? I have seen a couple of Toshiba's do this when
> when of the switches inside the drive failed. This usually means that
> the drive is toast.

It is, in fact, a Toshiba.

But what switch would make the tray come back out and say the drive's not
ready?

And why would it be toast?  I've replaced and "repaired" microswitches
before with really great results.  My minidisc deck, for example, kept
telling me there was no disc and wouldn't eject or play or anything.  I
pulled the thing apart, wrapped some electrical tape around the little
lever arm that pressed the switch to make it press even further... work
like bear-bone charm.

I'm going to move on to Galen's suggestions and report back.

J.
--
     Jeme A Brelin
    jeme at brelin.net