[PLUG] SCO Insight

Jeff Blain plug at Blain.org
Fri Jan 7 00:17:52 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 03:34:14PM -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   A fellow in Alabama posted a request for help on the SQL-Leger mail list
> and mentioned that he was in transition from Maytech on SCO-UNIX to
> SQL-Ledger on linux for his paper distribution business.

Actually, he is in Arkansas, but not that it really matters. :)

>   Being the curious sort I wrote and asked if he was leaving SCO for linux
> all-together. He replied that he is; that from what he's learned he thinks
> it's in his best interests. For comparison, he told me that the previous
> owner paid $33,000 for the Maytech accounting/inventory software, plus $425
> per month. Now they're raising the monthly protection payment to $550 and
> he's decided that's enough.

I am the one who steered him in this direction. A little over a year ago, I helped move his database from an old Motorola w/ System V to his way overpriced system that he has now running SCO. He got a real bad taste in his mouth after spending so much money on the new system, and the software company couldn't even move his data from one system to another. I had to figure it out for them. You can actually check the archives on PLUG for SysV networking where I was trying to figure it all out.

Once our test system is fully functional, I will be formating SCO off his drive and installing Debian, then moving all info from the test system. Once the whole project is complete, he will only have one M$ machine to run his FedEx software and that's it. Mission "almost" completed.

>   I have been wondering if the mad-SCO disease is causing existing customers
> to abandon the company and, at least this one is. I thought it was
> interesting and worth while sharing with you. And, look at the cost savings!

The mad-SCO disease definately had an impact on his decision, plus the fact that there was an available solution with in Linux. And yes, his savings will be huge. Even after paying me. :)

Jeff

P.S. I know it doesn't really matter, but if your wondering why someone from Arkansas is on the PLUG list, I actually cut my first teeth on Linux while living in Portland. PLUG was the first list I joined, and I attended several meetings while there.