[PLUG] Perplexing Boot Problem

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Jan 7 15:01:44 UTC 2005

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, Terry Griffin wrote:

> Is this the normal Slackware rc.M? It's written in an odd way. The leading
> dot before each /etc/rc.d/rc.whatever is making rc.M vulnerable to the rc
> scripts terminating themselves with an "exit" command. If rc.postfix is
> terminating with an exit that would expain what you are seeing.

Terry,

   It is the normal rc.M, but I added some services toward the end when they
were not picked up in rc.local.

   I noticed the leading dot but have no idea what it means or why it's
there. What do I read to learn about it? Perhaps it should not be there.

> When you start the services manually do you include the leading dot
> or not?

   No. I'd just do, for example, '/etc/rc.d/rc.httpd start' and it would.

> If not, try it again with the dot and see what happens when you start
> postfix. If your shell closes then an exit in rc.postfix is your problem.

   OK. I think I'll wait until the new UPS arrives to shutdown and reboot.

Many thanks,

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)