[PLUG] Tape Drives and Power Supplies ( was strange crashes ... )

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Sun Jan 9 06:01:36 UTC 2005

An update on the funny powering-off box.  It is clearly related to
running the tape backup.  On the two nights in the last 9 days that we
didn't run tape backups, the box remained operating.  On 7 of 7 tape
backup attempts, it has killed the box (after a variable amount of
time).  In the last two permutations, I moved the tape drive power
supply off the UPS and tried swapping in a different external tape
drive (and terminator), respectively.

I guess it could still be some fault on the SCSI card or the cable,
but I guess I am coming back to the power supply as the currently most
likely culprit.  I am still not clear how the tape backup could be
inducing a dodgy power supply to shut off the computer, particularly
when the failure occurs well (like hours in some cases) into the
backup, but then again *nothing* about this is clear.

seniorr at aracnet.com