[PLUG] Re: QTParted Question

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Sun Jan 9 06:31:05 UTC 2005

On 2005-01-09, William A Morita <wamorita at hevanet.com> wrote:
> Rich,
>
> The file systems in question are all ext3.
> You are correct.  It would appear that resize is not supported for ext3.
> What a bitch. Looks like I will have to copy the partition content out,
> delete, repartition and copy back.
>
> Thanks for pointing this out.  So much for assumptions.

I don't know much about QTparted, but ext3 itself can be resized.  If
you see support for ext2, then ext3 can be resized also--there is little
difference between the two format-wise and ext3 is backwards compatible
with ext2 (you can umount an ext3 and remount it as ext2, for
example).  On my EL3 systems, I generally set them up with LVM, leaving
only swap and /boot out and size everything on-demand.  With FC3 support
on-line resizing, it's even easier.

Wil
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley at nakedape.cc
* * * * Linux, UNIX, Networking and Security Solutions * * * *