[PLUG] Convert Sun Ultra5 to Linux

Jack Morgan jack at bonyari.com
Tue Jan 11 02:38:08 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 14:36 -0800, Steven D. Coffman wrote:
> Hi All..
> Hope someone knows this. I have a Sun Ultra5 system and I am trying to
> install Linux over it. The danged OpenBoot system just won't let me
> execute a different boot disk, etc. It keeps going to it's default Sun
> system.
> I don't want to keep the data or the OS, it's old stuff and I'm using
> the box to install our new firewall using Linux.
>
> Any clues to get around this and have it execute the boot disk would
> really help.

First, do stop + A to get to the OBP. Then type "probe-scsi"[1] to get a
list of installed hard disks. You can also type "printenv" to get a list
of environment variables and "help" should do just that :)

As already mentioned, can do "boot cdrom" to boot from the cdrom
(assuming you have one) or "boot disk" to boot of the first disk, "boot
disk1" to boot off the second disk.

Here are a few links...

Debian sparc linux:

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/sparc/install

Aurora sparc linux:

http://www.auroralinux.org/

Gentoo sparc linux:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-sparc-faq.xml
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-sparc-obpreference.xml
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-sparc-netboot-howto.xml
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-sparc.xml

--
Jack Morgan

[1] probe-ide if it's a Sun blade which has ide disks