[PLUG] Mandrake netprofiles

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Wed Jan 12 22:59:33 UTC 2005

I'm using Mandrake 10.1 official download version.

I'm trying to use netprofile on my laptop.

I've found docs that say you can put append="PROFILE=profile" in
lilo.conf, run lilo and it will choose that profile upon boot. This
was for Mandrake 9.2...

Netprofile does appear to change the files it's supposed to change,
according to the profile specified in lilo.conf, but the changed files
were too late to make a difference during boot. Rebooting with the
same profile works the second time, because the changed files are now
in place before the boot.

On RPMFind, I see in the latest version changelog some reference to
another place to specify profile, but no mention of what that place is.

Booting and then changing profiles is a hassle, especially when you
are trying to attach to a YP server... One must then go through and
manually restart services to connect to the server etc.

I'm finding little or no documentation, and a how-to link on the
Mandrake website just says it needs to be written... Uh, yeah... I'll
write it if I can get it working...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Russ