[PLUG] "server" quality components

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Thu Jan 13 03:03:48 UTC 2005

yo pluggers,

I rarely have the luxury of a healthy budget for buying or building new boxes;
like most of us, I've made a career out of coaxing a little more life out of
old Frankenhardware. Well, I'm starting a new project where there is actually
enough budget to purchase some decent hardware. I am giddy with excitement.
There will be two standalone servers: one IMAP and one Apache web server. The
mailserver will have about 300 accounts. Not sure yet how much traffic is
expected for the Web server, or if it is going to be burdened with horrid
scripts or what. These are not quite mission-critical, maybe one step below
mission-critical.

Would it make sense to go for server-quality mainboards, NICs, power supplies,
and all those good things? We already decided on tower cases, for easy
maintenance and future expansion, so box real estate is not a problem. What
do you get in a "server" mobo or NIC anyway that you don't get in the cheep
stuff?

thanks!

Carla Schroder
http://www.tuxcomputing.com
check out my new book, the "Linux Cookbook", the ultimate Linux user's
and sysadmin's guide! http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/linuxckbk/
this message brought to you
by Libranet 2.8 and Kmail